Check Cashing Policy
We only extend payroll check cashing privileges to customers who regularly shop at our stores. Therefore, we require that all payroll checks be accompanied by your Value Plus card and a valid drivers license or state identification card. No activity or extremely low activity on your Value Plus card may disqualify you from cashing your payroll check at Al’s.
If you do not have a Value Plus card, please apply for one at any courtesy counter.Â It will take approximately thirty days to build up a purchase history, which will enable you to qualify for payroll check cashing privileges. In the meantime, you can immediately take advantage of the great savings available on your grocery purchases when presenting your card at the checkout lane.
If you already have a card, please make sure you present it to the cashier whenever you shop so that you not only qualify for payroll check cashing privileges, but any special promotions Al’s Supermarkets may be running.
- Our rate for cashing payroll checks is $3.00 per check.
- Personal checks cashed at the courtesy booth are limited to $50.00.
- Checks cashed at the checkout counter are limited to $25.00 over the amount of purchase.
- Low numbered checks (under 300) and starter checks are not accepted.
- Payroll checks up to $500.00 will only be cashed for customers who regularly shop the store, and have a Value Plus card (only payroll checks issued by local area companies accepted).
Please present your Value Plus Card and driver’s license or a state identification card when cashing a payroll check. A home or work phone number will also have to be provided. We are sorry for the inconvenience, but we cannot cash a payroll or personal check at the courtesy booth if your state identification card has been issued within the last thirty days.
The service fee on checks is $3.00 for each payroll, Social Security or ADC check cashed at the courtesy booth. In South Haven only there will also be a 50Â¢ fee on personal checks cashed at the service counter. Returned check fees of $20.00 plus applicable bank fees will be charged for each returned check.
We Do Not Accept:
- Two-party personal or payroll checks
- Money orders
- Income tax refund checks
- Insurance checks
- Starter checks
We Also Accept The Following: